Tampere Vocational College Tredu offers restaurant and catering service studies in English. This program provides diverse skills for cooking, serving, sales and customer service roles. Studying in multicultural groups, attending in the international student exchanges and projects will prepare you for tasks in the international restaurant and catering industry.
Vocational Qualification in Restaurant and Catering Services graduates are able to plan and carry out food preparation or customer service tasks and work in sales in the catering sector. They work profitably and productive in a sales-minded, customer service orientated and quality conscious manner, while operating in compliance with hygiene requirements and sustainable operating practices.
The students may specialize in waitering or cooking tasks according to one’s interest.
Content of the degree
The scope of the Vocational Qualification in Restaurant and Catering Services is 180 competence points. The qualification is composed of vocational units (145 competence points) and common units (35 competence points).
The vocational qualification in Restaurant and Catering Services has two competence areas:
- competence area of customer service (waiter/waitress) and
- competence area of food services (cook), which starts in August 2023 at Tredu Santalahti.
The preliminary selection of the competence area will be done in the application document. In this program, you can learn more Finnish if needed, or focus on foreign languages. Tredu provides perfect facilities for training at the college’s own lunch restaurant Elmeri and cafeteria Eevi, before the on-the-job periods in Finland or abroad.
Do double examination
It is possible to prepare for the national matriculation examinations during the studies and combine the general upper secondary education with this in five subjects (Finnish, English, Swedish, Mathematics, Social studies or Health Education). These studies are carried out during daytime, the teaching language is Finnish.
Cook is working in food preparation tasks at the restaurant and participates in customer service with the other restaurant staff. Cook knows the ingredients, plans and prepares tasty dishes, sets out portions and takes care of the cleanliness of the kitchen. He/she uses various tools and equipment according to his operating environment. Cook also knows how to take into account nutritional recommendations and special diets. Cook’s working places include professional and catering kitchens, cafes and lunch restaurants, food restaurants and bars, banquets, fine dining restaurants, hotels and catering companies.
The strengths of the cook’s profession are precise taste, craftsmanship, imagination and creativity. Jobs in the field also emphasize the ability to withstand pressure and hurry, as well as the ability to work with different kind of people.
Other important things in this field are:
• sales and service skills
• teamwork skills
• language skills
• economical skills
• entrepreneurial attitude
Our students also acquire alcohol and hygiene passports as part of their studies.
Cook who has completed the qualification knows how to:
• work in customer service tasks at restaurants with different business ideas or missions or in public sector units
• tidy customer facilities and display products to be sold
• present, sell, and serve food and beverage
Read more: Cook
Requirements for student selection
- Qualification equivalent to Finnish basic education of nine years.
- Good command in English language.
- Interest in the study field.
- This education is for those who have citizenship or residence permit in Finland or in EU/ETA/Schengen countries and who have the right to work in Finland https://migri.fi/en/right-to-work.
- Priority will be given to applicants who already speak Finnish.
- Motivation and language skills are tested in an admission interview.
How to apply
Fill out the application form in Opintopolku. Please attach all the relevant documents regarding Residence permit in Finland (or in EU/ETA / Schengen area) and previous education (basic education diploma) with your application.
Please notice the application timeline:
- Application period is June 19th – July 12th, 2023.
- All eligible applicants will be invited to the interview by email latest on Wednesday, August 2nd, 2023.
- The entrance interview will be held on Friday, August 4th, 2023 at Tredu Pyynikki Campus, (Santalahdentie 10) Tampere.
- The results of student selection will be announced on Tuesday, August 8th, 2023.
- The deadline for accepting the study place at the latest by Friday, August 11th, 2023.
- You must be able to start the studies latest on Monday, August 14th, 2023.
- Study location: Tredu Santalahdentie 10, Tampere, Finland.
Guidance Councelor (On Holiday June 23rd – July 30th, 2023)
041 730 7299
TreduNavi Admission Services
tel +358 40 170 5649